Monday, March 12, 2018

The local captain at the 'eastern front'

The eastern front's local editorial captain has multiple problems.

One is being a control freak. (I'm somewhat of one at times, so I know what I mean.)

Two is being a poor manager of other editorial staff, and derived from one, I'm going to say a poor manager of people in general. (Not the only person that way within the eastern front's outposts.)

Three is back to being a control freak. NOBODY proofreads the pages she builds because she doesn't let them. Stories may be edited OK, but headers and cuts written on pages regularly have errors. And, I'm at the point I don't care.

That's because, per Point 2, the company doesn't care. The bottom line is very much the bottom line at this place.

==

And, plain stupidity. I've NEVER, at a daily paper before, heard of a writer being asked to choose which photos shot by a staff photographer should be used. That's either the photographer or the ME.

And, what good does it do when she then goes off the board and chooses a picture of her own from the set anyway? And screws up the cutline to boot?

Oh, and creating the word "Handicapable" as a PC word in a headline for a handicapped event? Oh my fucking god. I about threw up over that one. This is also from a person who says you can't use "pot" in a story line. Bullshit. If you're going to invent a word, I'm going to use a vernacular word.

And, other crap?

Misspelling the name of Gov Greg Abbott as "Abbot." Misspelling "wrangle" as "rangle." Both in headers.

That said, I am learning new lessons in detachment from this.

==

Well, actually, I've moved on now.

She's a nice enough person. But ... most matters aren't up for discussion. Just "her decision."

No comments: