Thursday, September 14, 2023

The Snooze continues to Snooze toward Gomorrah

 The Snooze would be my "beloved" Dallas Morning News, last print product of A.H. (does not stand for Adolf Hitler) Belo, now called DallasNews Corporation and its last print product since Al Dia (Spanish for "The Snooze") is now digital only.

Continues to snooze?

It's whacking more jobs, either by buyouts or firing.

"Adjusting digital memberships"? What the hell does that mean? I still hit (not complaining) plenty of non-paywalled items there. For example, this piece, part of what seems to be a very good series of pieces on lives damaged by fentanyl. Claims to be "member-exclusive content." Didn't drop a paywall on me. I clicked on a half-dozen such stories. No paywall.

What it really needs to do is two things.

1. Stop circulating on the west side of I-35 outside the Metromess itself. (Where I live, I can get it, and I see it in places where the StartleGram isn't, which is a commentary it and parent McLatchKey, and don't get me started on not even finding the Denton Wrecked Chronic.)

2. Take a page from the StartleGram and whack a day (two?) of print publication. (I haven't checked to see if it's already at six-day, so maybe it's done that.)

Remember, this is a company with a forearm's-length litany of screw-ups. CueCat? Selling off its share of Cars dot Com? Multiple screwups on paywalls? Selling off non-Dallas print products? Check on all of the above, with the paywalls screwup continuing as I type.

No comments: