Thursday, April 20, 2023

NO way to run a railroad or print a newspaper

 The "this is no way to run a railroad" comes from an old-school executive editor at a newspaper group I was at many moons ago. Unfortunately, he never told that to his boss, the owner and publisher of the group, who should have known better himself, but I digress.

The second half of the saying is courtesy my favorite area CNHI whipping boy.

It had a special section Tuesday for its Medal of Honor weekend.

And, were I about one-third of the advertisers in the section, I'd want my money back.

Either a bunch of ads were PDFed in low resolution, or, if the page-building work was some combination of local and CNHI's nearest printing press in Palestine, stuff wasn't embedded.

In either case, some serious pixelation/bitmapping. You know, the typical stuff, like fonts with jagged straight-line edges, that look pretty bad at 36 point or bigger.

If it were two ads instead of one, understandable. Three, even, halfway understandable.

But, I counted one FULL page ad (color, too), four half-pagers and one quarter-pager that definitely were bad and would have been noticeable to a journalist layperson reader. Some smaller ads were iffy, but probably not noticeable to others. My guess? If this was laid out remotely, it was from last year's similar special section, with unembedded ads.

No comments: