Thursday, January 11, 2024

Tell me you're a capitalist without telling me ...

 I recently was interviewed by a recruiter. (Whom I may name here at some point later.)

Asked about why did I leave job X after 2.5 years, job Y after 1.5, job Z after 2, etc.

First, as I noted, every move but one of mine in the last 15 years has been related to the turmoil in the newspaper industry. Guess I should be putting that more up-front on the resume, but, nonetheless, I have no problem explaining it.

Second, I not only kept my head above water but in general (in nominal dollars, at least) moved forward financially. That's not a nothingburger in today's newspaper world.

And, said recruiter said she had decades in the newspaper business before setting up shop as a recruitment and placement company for various media companies. Mentioned Wick (meh), Hearst (blech) and others.

But, of course, the recruiter's spiel was "newspapers don't want to pay to relocate you" etc. if they think you'll leave in a couple of years. 

Rather than asking right away if these changes were because of newspaper industry turmoil and decimation.

Oh, I understand. 

That said, if the job is good enough, I'll be staying. And, by that, I mean not only pay, but in general.

No bosses who got to be the boss allegedly per one old-fashioned way, which, sadly, still happens. (And, it does take two to tango.)

No going back to places where, if books weren't actually cooked, they did seem to have been padded on how advertising was treated.

Anyway, said recruiter mentioned she represented Wick, among others, and I mentioned one interview. Probably why no follow-up. Oh, well.

Part of me says, "Yeah, it sucks."

Part of me, besides, "It's capitalism," says this whole idea of being "first," on news that doesn't necessarily warrant it, is an issue itself.

Part of me looks at companies phoning shit in and says "Peter Principle."

Part of me notes that said recruiter looked at town where I lived, not actual location of the two newspapers and takes that into account.

I did learn some resume tweak ideas, even if the recruiter didn't email me the ideas in detail because they wrote me off. But, what makes a "good" resume seems to change every five years. Isn't that itself part of capitalism? Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic to make you stumble into the furniture?

Beyond that? I decided to go halfway "in your face" with the new one for newspaper journalism jobs.  Nothing to lose.

Finally? This is also a reminder that recruiters ALWAYS work for employers first, employees second.

No comments: