Thursday, March 05, 2020

How much is that online paper or mag spying on you?

If it's like Outside Magazine, a whole helluva lot.

Read just how much Outside tracks your ass with cookies, analytics, Facebook, etc., if you don't wear lots of online condoms on your browser to protect yourself. And that page notes that, for browsers like Firefox, "do not track" signals are ignored.

I found that link as part of a story on my main blog about an Outside story on the National Park Service and budget cuts. I had looked for ads about concessionaires in and near national parks, and then other non-concessionaire businesses in neighboring towns, when I saw that link.

To summarize?

Seven different analytics links.

Eight tracking tools.

Facebook Connect beyond that for "functionality."

Plus the "we don't currently respond" to do not track signals.

Plus the old tut-tutting of "certain features on our platforms may not work" if you block our cookies.

Know what?

I.Dont.Care. I hope it doesn't, in the sense of making it harder for you to track me.

Beyond that, if your website won't work that well without that much spying, you've got problems anyway.

Beyond that, targeted advertising doesn't work as well as marketing people claim.

No comments: