Thursday, April 22, 2021

Peter Principle or something in Sulphur Springs

So, the News-Telegram hired a managing editor in June 2017.

Less newspaper experience than I. Half of it explicitly listed as advertorial writing, on the writing and editing.

Less desktop publishing skill than me, both on speed and on design quality.

And a control freak. (I can be at times, but not like that.)

Other issues.

At a dysfunctional place, where the previous managing editor / general manager had somewhat let things slack off in the past, as well as exhibited intermittent communication skill usage, from what I can tell.

I am out of there now, Southern Newspapers has sold that paper to Moser, and the publisher in Paris who pushed for her to be hired, along with the possible reasons he pushed for her to be hired, is no longer in Paris, in part due to a sexual harassment lawsuit.

Well, enough butt-kissing. I'm past the two-year mark in my current position and moving on down the road. This time, the move worked out well enough, although overworked I am. And I'm not working for the control freak, nor dealing with the mess of a fellow publisher possibly committing illegalities, like last time I moved, back to Marlin and Moser, nor either company that hired and tolerated either person. (That's not to mention Moser selling Marlin to Dennis and Theresa Phillips, who surely will finish destroying it soon. More here. Interestingly enough, last month, I got a call from Marlin; didn't ask who it was from, but someone who thought my cell number was still the one to call. Also interestingly, I told her I hadn't been there in 4-5 years, which was actually too short for the span from when I was really there, but too long for the span of my brief return.)

Oh, after Moser bought the News-Telegram, she was eventually fired. Shock me.

No comments: