Thursday, November 02, 2023

Applying to Wick, not knowing it

 I've written here before about Wick Communications, both some general problems with it being ultra-cheap assed with its daily papers and a laughable idea of an in-house social media system for people to report ideas or even extended Facebook style stories to its newspapers.

Well, I applied via LinkedIn to another Wick property that I didn't realize at the time was a Wick property. Five-day daily, still, town of 6K and change, county of 11K. Bigger papers to south and east, so really not much circ outside the county. Gutted AP after long-time former editor retired. Suspect that this is a recent acquisition by Wick and they did the "dirty" after said person retired. Indeed, it's so new that wasn't on Wikipedia's page about Wick before I posted an edit. And, per what I've said about Wick and dailies? Montrose still is a daily in print. Some part of me appreciates the desire to continue to do that, but some part of me says HUH?

Or so it seems, on still being 5-day daily. Their website sucks on not having an "about" link anywhere. But, their e-edition page confirms.

Back to the newspaper of application. Assuming the takeover was in the last year, even with Wick's continued wedding to daily print, I can't see it staying that way. If so, would my salary be cut?

And, why did Wick buy this paper? Outside of Aridzona, and to a lesser degree, Washington, North Dakota and Colorado, they still don't have a concept of "clustering."

Wick strikes me as similar to Southern.

No comments: