Thursday, October 17, 2024

Your hometown newspaper editor won't miss you, Drew Springer

 I'm not sure when the last time was we got an email about an event or something at my newspaper from Springer's office. On the personal side, I don't think I've gotten a snail-mail mailing in at least two years, unless it was something specifically election related in 2022. (His successor in the state House, David Spiller, is much better.)

So, I noted with interest that a week ago's midweek edition of the Gainesville Register had a story about a Springer retirement event in G'ville. (I don't know if the more-than-a-shopper Cooke County Weekly News will have anything or not.)

Searching Drew's Facebook page would be about No. 10 on the list of local and area Facebook pages to check for news issues, especially knowing his retirement. The Register? Doesn't cover sports, barely covers Cooke County Commissioners Court meetings, doesn't cover the Gainesville Hospital District board meetings, etc. Even without an in-house editor, their staff writer has time to do that. Maybe he's even bookmarked.

Beyond that, I had a school board meeting that Wednesday. More important. You know, the school board at the public school district in Springer's home town.

No comments: