Thursday, July 30, 2026

Circulation "fraud" by Hearst?

 I put the "fraud" in scare quotes because:

First, even in the old Audit Bureau of Circulation days, newspapers cheated and;

Second, annual postal statements aren't notified and have only a requirement to certify that, if you're not a free throw, and are on a second class not third class permit, at least 50 percent of your copies have some charge.

With that said ...

I have heard, secondhand, that Hearst is inserting print copies of its weekly Jasper (Texas) News-Boy in the Beaumont Enterprise and using Beaumont's circ to count for Jasper's.

I do know Jasper does not have a separate website now and instead rolls to a webpage on the Enterprise. 

I'm surprised Cox didn't think about this with Pflugerville and other regional outposts off the Austin Stateless; I do know it did what Hearst did and folded it, Round Rock and Bastrop's websites, and social media sites, into the Stateless even before selling to Craphouse. Maybe they WERE doing this as well. Since Hearst now owns the Stateless, it would have gotten the idea from there.

Plus ça change? 

In any case, since Chris Tomlinson is no longer on Shitter, I don't have to worry about him running flak for Hearst any more. (Surprisingly, the person who told me this didn't know Hearst had bought the Snooze.) 

No comments: